[libvirt-users] Problems with VM networking on Ubuntu Quantal

Dale Amon amon at vnl.com
Fri Jan 18 04:24:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 01:55:16PM -0500, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 01/02/2013 06:10 AM, Dale Amon wrote:
> > I have shifted some VM's to a new server running Quantal
> > and have had a world of trouble. The first one was caused
> > by issues with an apparently compiled in path in their
> > apparmor version which forced VM pools to be in /srv or
> > similar rather than where I wanted them. For now this was
> > not a big issue, and thankfully the server where it would
> > be a big time problem (there are individual drives per
> > major customer or user) is Debian.
> >
> > But... I still have issues. The networking has changed
> > considerably and although I can get my VM running, I cannot
> > reach it.
> >
> > The new quantal machines give you something like this:
> >
> > br0       Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr ****
> >           inet addr:10.0.0.xx  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
> >           inet6 addr: *****/64 Scope:Link
> >           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> >
> > lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
> >           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
> >           inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
> >           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
> >
> > p6p1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr ****
> >           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> >
> > virbr0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr ****
> >           inet addr:192.168.122.1  Bcast:192.168.122.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
> >           UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> >
> > vnet0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr fe:54:00:84:3c:4f
> >           inet6 addr: fe80::fc54:ff:fe84:3c4f/64 Scope:Link
> >           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> >
> > The VM machine has a static ip on the same network, ie 10.0.0.x. It
> > worked fine on the old server but is not reachable (and cannot
> > connect outward).
> >
> > Forwarding is turned on:
> > 	cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> > 	1
>
> Since you say the guests have 10.0.0.x IP addresses, I'm assuming that
> they are connected to br0, and not virbr0 ("virsh dumpxml $guestname" or
> "brctl show" would give that information). If that's the case, then the
> setting of ip_forward is irrelevent, since the forwarding will be done
> at L2 by the Linux host bridge, not at L3 by IP.
>
> It's possible that net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables is set to 1
> ("sysctl net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables"), which would mean that all
> guest traffic would go through iptables as it crossed the bridge, and
> some rule in your host's filters might be blocking it. You can set that
> to 0 in /etc/sysctl.conf (followed by "sysctl -p").
>
> To see if traffic is being blocked by iptables, you can run this script
> on the host, then try sending traffic from the guest and see if new
> lines are printed out:
>
>   while true; do iptables -S -v -Z | grep -v "c 0 " | grep REJECT; sleep
> 1; done
>
> For some other ideas of what might be going wrong, look at the
> network-related topics in the libvirt wiki troubleshooting guide:
>
>    http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Troubleshooting
>
> If you find that you have a problem not already covered there, feel free
> [...]

I tried the command:

# brctl show
br0             8000.902b34525ea7       no              p6p1
                                                        vnet0
virbr0          8000.000000000000       yes

As to iptables, there is no nothing set up on this machine
at present as it sits behind a MASQ firewall.

Any other suggestions? Any info I could supply you that would
be useful?