[libvirt-users] Sanlock gives up lock when VM is paused

Michael Rodrigues mrodrigues at education.ucsb.edu
Thu Jan 31 18:35:17 UTC 2013

Hi Daniel,

I thought migration might be the reason, but I'm still not seeing the
behavior you describe with regards to pausing. I saw the following behavior:

 1. Created VM on node 1
 2. Started VM on node 1
 3. Migrated VM to node 2, node 1 is now shutdown, node 2 is running
 4. I paused node 2
 5. I started node 1, no error
 6. Paused node 1
 7. Unpaused node 2, no err

I thought maybe the original VM had to be paused first, so I tried that
as well:

 1. Created VM on node 1
 2. Started VM on node 1
 3. Migrated to node 2, node 1 is now shutdown, node 2 is running
 4. I shutdown node 2 instead of pausing
 5. I started node 1
 6. I paused node 1
 7. Started node 2
 8. Paused node 2
 9. Started node 1

So sanlock is preventing both from running concurrently, but it seems to
contradict your statement:
"Even if you now pause the VM on node 2, and try to resume node 1,
sanlock will still prevent node 1 from running again. It tracks a lock
"version" number. The key is that once the original VM is paused, if any
other VM runs on that disk, the orignal VM is never allowed to be
unpaused again."

Am I mistaken?

Thanks,
Michael