[libvirt-users] F19 and virt-install

Jay Vyas jayunit100 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 16:54:54 UTC 2013

Hi libvirt:

--------

My "short" question is - is there a recipe for installing F19 100%
automatically with static IPs?  I'm using a combination of url based
install with a kickstart script pasted to a gist in order to bootstrap the
entire thing.

It **used** to work (fedora16), but recently stopped.

-------

Note : Right now Im not using the os-variant switch because fedora17+ arent
listed as OS variant's in my version of virt-install.  That in and of
itself could be the problem -- any way to update virt-install's os-variant
list?

------

With Fedora 16, I found that the url based install failed due to a corrupt
rpm.  I assume this is just because f16 isn't supported anymore so errors
on the web site for it are not being fixed.

With Fedora 18/19/... Im finding other types of errors related to missing
downloaded components when the bootstrapping virt-install starts.  In
particular, a 404 (not found) error when fetching " product.img " from the
OS url.  Details below.

<note, any insights into things I may be missing due to ignorance would
also be appreciated here>
--------

With Fedora 18:

I've noticed that libvirt gives me some errors with the new generation of
fedora formatted os's source directories.  It looks for a file
"product.img", which (I beleive) doesnt exist in fedora17+.

In particular, it is looking for the "product.img" file, under
http://redhat.download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/19/Fedora/x86_64/os/
.

virt-install --hvm --name f18x86_64a --ram 1024 --file
/var/lib/libvirt/images/f18x86_64a.img,size=20 --location
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/18/Fedora/x86_64/os/--file-size
20 -x "ks=<url_to_kickstart_file>"

-------

Running "virt-install list", it seems that the only fedoras known to
virt-install are up to fedora16:

fedora16             : Fedora 16
fedora15             : Fedora 15
fedora14             : Fedora 14
fedora13             : Fedora 13
fedora12             : Fedora 12
fedora11             : Fedora 11
fedora10             : Fedora 10
fedora9              : Fedora 9
fedora8              : Fedora 8
fedora7              : Fedora 7
fedora6              : Fedora Core 6
fedora5              : Fedora Core 5

-------

Do I need to update virt-install in order to install F17+ from source?  How
is the os-variant used?  Im assuming maybe os-variant needs to be updated
somehow in order for the virt-install command to behave correctly.

--
Jay Vyas
http://jayunit100.blogspot.com