[libvirt-users] virsh snapshot-create and blockcopy

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Jun 10 07:07:45 UTC 2013

On 06/09/2013 02:46 PM, Thomas Stein wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just tried the following:
>
> virsh dumpxml --security-info gentoo-template > gentoo-template.xml
> virsh snapshot-create gentoo-template
> virsh undefine gentoo-template

Wait - is that really the command you used after "snapshot-create" ?

Because: You cannot undefine a guest with a snapshot without first deleting its metadata

To cleanly delete, maybe you should've done:

  $ virsh snapshot-delete --domain gentoo-template SNAPSHOTID --metadata

> virsh blockcopy gentoo-template vda
> /opt/virt-backup-blockcopy/gentoo-template/gentoo-template.qcow2 --wait --verbose --finish
> virsh define gentoo-template.xml

Can you also paste the output of:

  $ qemu-img info --backing-chain \
  /opt/virt-backup-blockcopy/gentoo-template/gentoo-template.qcow2

> virsh snapshot-delete gentoo-template --current
>
> But if i restore the /opt/virt-backup-blockcopy/gentoo-template/gentoo-template.qcow2 the
> snapshot is gone.
>
> Someone has an idea what i'm missing? I suppose i'm just missunderstandig the snapshot
> mechanism.

Here's how I used blockcopy (few months ago, slightly outdated) --
http://kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/virt/lc-2012/live-backup-with-blockcopy.txt

> thanks an best regards
> t.

/kashyap