[libvirt-users] [bump] Storage pool created on the "wrong" vg

Alaric Haag haag at lsu.edu
Fri Mar 22 18:54:13 UTC 2013

________________________________
From: Alaric Haag
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:39 PM
To: libvirt-users at redhat.com
Subject: Storage pool created on the "wrong" vg

Hello all,

(Hopefully, I am posing this question to the correct list!)

I seem to have mis-clicked through the creation of an LVM-based storage pool in virt-manager and it is using a volume group containing LVs dedicated to the root/swap filesystems. As these are active LVs, there seems no way to remove this pool. Is that true?

My reading thus far suggests that, with LVM storage units, you can't delete them from the pool without REALLY deleting them from the VG.

I'm "new enough" to KVM to be missing something obvious, but I'd be pretty shocked if a "structure" like a storage pool can't be deconstructed.

Kind regards,
Alaric

------------------------

Here's a bit more detail in the hope someone might help:

I clicked through the creation of a storage pool, and accidentally used the wrong volume group, so I have:

virsh # vol-list vm_pool
Name                 Path
lv_root              /dev/vg_01/lv_root
lv_swap              /dev/vg_01/lv_swap
These two LVs, in group vg_01, are the / and swap partition of the host system. I meant for the pool to reside on vg_vm, a different volume group.

Can I safely run:
virsh # vol-delete lv_root --pool=vm_pool
virsh # vol-delete lv_swap --pool=vm_pool
virsh # pool-delete vm_pool
or do the first two steps actually destroy the LVs in vg_01 thus bringing my system crashing down? The link below strongly suggests I cannot delete these logical volumes from the pool, but is a "draft" for OpenSUSE. (I'm running libvirt 0.10.2-18 on RHEL6)
http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/SLES/SLES-kvm_sd_draft/cha.libvirt.storage.html
If that's the case, is there ANY way to undo my mistake and remove this pool?

I am most grateful for any guidance!

Alaric