[libvirt-users] How to give access to /dev/tty

Guillaume Thouvenin guillaume.thouvenin at polymtl.ca
Fri Mar 29 10:04:25 UTC 2013

I made some others tests. To start the X server in the container I'm
now using the command:

$ xinit  -- /usr/bin/X vt1

In my xorg.conf file I put the minimum to run the X server headless. I
copied it at the end of this email. In the xml file of the container I
have:

    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='lxc' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='lxc' port='1'/>
    </console>

So the error now is:

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed: Invalid argument

This error occurs because the X server tried to do an ioctl(/dev/tty1,
VT_ACTIVATE) on /dev/tty1 that is not a tty, it's a link to /dev/pts/0.

I tried to reply type='lxc' by type='serial' but I got the same error.
I think that if I can provide an access to the real /dev/tty1 I will be
able to run the X server in the container...

Can someone confirm me if it is possible to do it (I mean give an
access to /dev/tty1 to the container) or if I'm going in the wrong
direction to achieve my goal (that is to start a X server in the
container (headless or not)?

Thanks for your help,
Regards,

Guillaume