[libvirt-users] Live external snapshot coalescing

Skardal, Harald Harald.Skardal at stratus.com
Mon Mar 4 19:18:46 UTC 2013

On standard Fedora 18 I was attempting blockcommit on a *live* VM,
libvirt said it was not supported, so I tried fedora-virt-preview as
recommended.

We found a problem with qemu 1.4, there seems to be an acknowledged bug,
a missing library.
On a different system we loaded Fedora 18, and then pulled qemu (1.3)
and libvirt (1.0.2) from rawhide.

I tried blockcommit with domain shut down, it said must be up. Started
the domain, and voila, it seems to have worked.

Question:

The committed snap file (the one I committed to the image below) is
still in there, and virsh snapshot-list lists it.
But the base and the upstream snap file has been updated, the upstream
snap file points to the base image as per qemu-img info.

How/where do I update the metadata so that virsh displays the correct
thing? I.e. the committed snapshot should disappear?

Is it as simple as removing the committed snap? Do I have to restart
anything to get the virsh output correct?

Cheers,

      	Harald Skardal,
	Stratus Technologies.