[libvirt-users] Virsh+QEMU, SSH issue on compiled libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 18:31:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 06:08:29PM +0000, Saravanan Shanmugham (sarvi) wrote:
> Just to add a little context to what Shantan has been trying to do.
>
> We have libvirt 1.0 from standard fedora RPMs on a few standard Fedora 17
> servers used as virtualization hosts
> [root at cnh-nehalem-1 ~]# libvirtd --version
> libvirtd (libvirt) 1.0.0
>
> We are able to use virsh from these standard installs to connect between
> servers through
> virsh -c qemu+ssh://sarvi@libvirthost/system
>
> This has been working.
>
> What we are now trying to do is to
>     1. compile a slightly newer libvirt-1.0.2 on of these servers
>     2. Install them into a non standard location like
>        ./configure --prefix=/users/sarvi/nonstddir

This is your problem. By specifying a different prefix, your new
libvirt client is going to be looking for the libvirtd socket
in /users/sarvi/nonstddir/var/lib/libvirt/libvirt-sock instead
of in /var/lib/libvirt/libvirt-sock

The --prefix you use to compile your libvirt must match the settings
used for the target libvirt you are connecting to.

Daniel