[libvirt-users] Libvirt remote-client compilation for RHEL4

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Mar 7 13:23:20 UTC 2013

On 03/06/2013 04:41 PM, Saravanan Shanmugham (sarvi) wrote:

> Hi,
>    We are trying to compile Libvirt 1.02 from source for an RHEL4 target.

Good luck.  Unfortunately, upstream libvirt does not target RHEL4 (we
have only tested that upstream libvirt can build on RHEL5), so there are
probably lots of gotchas, and you will have to do lots of legwork yourself.

Feel free to submit patches on what you changed to get things to work.

> We are trying to compile a minimalist libvirt necessary on RHEL4 that would make remote control of VMs   possible.

So all you need is the libvirt.so with RPC support, and then the python
bindings.  Use of --without-libvirtd will force a client-only configure,
which should help.  Any further compile issues are probably related to
really old portability problems in your system headers.