[libvirt-users] netfilter+libvirt=(smth got broken?)

Nikolai Zhubr n-a-zhubr at yandex.ru
Wed Mar 20 12:47:15 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm having problem setting up filtering traffic for a virtual machine
managed by libvirt. Strange thing is, such a setup has been working fine
for me on an older version of distro (namely, opensuse 11.3  w/updates,
kernel 2.6.34, libvirt 0.8.8) but refused to work on shiny new opensuse
12.4 (kernel 3.7.10, libvirt 1.0.2).

The definition of filter in question is pretty simple:

<filter name='some-filt' chain='ipv4'>
   <rule action='accept' direction='in'>
     <tcp dstportstart='110'/>
   </rule>
   <rule action='drop' direction='inout'>
     <all/>
   </rule>
</filter>

So basically it should allow incoming connections to the specified port
number and nothing else. After activating this filter on a box in
question, connections to 110 started to fail (timeout). Examining
iptables rules manually and comparing them to the rules from my old box
did not reveal anything suspicious to me. However, through just pure
guesswork, I managed to ocasionally "fix" the problem by manually
editing 3 relevant rules as follows:

--A FI-vnet0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 110 -m conntrack --ctstate
ESTABLISHED -m conntrack --ctdir ORIGINAL -j RETURN
+-A FI-vnet0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 110 -m conntrack --ctstate
ESTABLISHED -m conntrack --ctdir REPLY -j RETURN

--A FO-vnet0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 110 -m conntrack --ctstate
NEW,ESTABLISHED -m conntrack --ctdir REPLY -j ACCEPT
+-A FO-vnet0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 110 -m conntrack --ctstate
NEW,ESTABLISHED -m conntrack --ctdir ORIGINAL -j ACCEPT

--A HI-vnet0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 110 -m conntrack --ctstate
ESTABLISHED -m conntrack --ctdir ORIGINAL -j RETURN
+-A HI-vnet0 -p tcp -m tcp --sport 110 -m conntrack --ctstate
ESTABLISHED -m conntrack --ctdir REPLY -j RETURN

So essentially, just manually swtiching "--ctdir" values to their
opposites makes the filter allow connections to port 110. I've also
verified that the filter still blocks unwanted connections originating
from port 110 from VM exactly as it should:

(in VM): netcat -v -v -n -p 110 192.168.122.1 22
(UNKNOWN) [192.168.122.1] 22 (?) : Connection timed out
  set 0, rcvd 0

I've then compared /proc/net/nf_conntrack on both (old and new) boxes.
They look roughly the same, nothing suspicious.

This all looks to me as if "--ctdir" argument somehow magically changed
its meaning to the opposite, but this just cannot be! I'm out of ideas
and looking for insights. Any hints appreciated quite a lot.

Thank you.
Nikolai