[libvirt-users] Snapshot without volumes temporarily

Hubert Chiang clhtwn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 09:46:51 UTC 2013

Hello,

I want to do a snapshot which the VM has volumes.

But I want to skip the volume check when I do the snapshot. (Which means I
want to do a snapshot without detaching the volume)

So I try to write a snapshot XML refer by
http://libvirt.org/formatsnapshot.html as following:

vda is my VM basic disk (qcow2)
vdb is a volume (raw)
================ t1.xml ===============
<domainsnapshot>
<disks>
<disk name='vda' snapshot='internal'>
<source file='/var/lib/libvirt/VM1/disk' />
</disk>
<disk name='vdb' snapshot='no' />
</disks>
</domainsnapshot>
=====================================

with this command: # virsh snapshot-create VM1 --xmlfile t1.xml

and get the message: # error: argument unsupported: unable to handle disk
requests in snapshot

My environment is Libvirt 0.9.8, Qemu 1.0.0 on Ubuntu12.04.02

I try to do this action before at libvirt 0.9.2 QEMU 0.14.1 on Ubuntu 11.10
before with following commands, It's success.

Step1. I copy the XML from /etc/libvirt/qemu/VM1.xml to VM1.xml.backup
Step2. I edit the VM1.xml to remove the disk tag which is create by volume
Step3. do virsh command: virsh snapshot-create VM1
Step4. Move VM1.xml.backup to VM1.xml

It's success on libvirt 0.9.2. But on 0.9.8 It doesn't work. Because
libvirt will check the setups from memory not the XML file in
/etc/libvirt/qemu/

What could I do with libvirt 0.9.8?

Thanks in advance.