[libvirt-users] How to give access to /dev/tty

Guillaume Thouvenin guillaume.thouvenin at polymtl.ca
Thu Mar 28 11:40:34 UTC 2013

Hello,

  First I apologize because I sent this email on the lxc-users mailing
by error. So sorry for the double message.

  I'm trying to run an X server inside a container. I was able to
achieve this with lxc-tools (and that is why I mixed myself between the
2 lists) by setting the option lxc.tty = 4 that allows access to 4 tty.
Now I want to use libvirt because my final goal is to create a
container with GPU capabilities from Openstack (that uses libvirt).

  When I start an X server with "startx -- :1" in a container I have the error:

  Fatal server error:
  xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

  I also tried with :2 and :3 but I still have the same error (except
that the name of the log file changed between Xorg.{1,2,3}.log. I
copied the xml file of my container at the end of the email.

  Thus my question is how can I give an access to /dev/tty0 to the
container? Or maybe it is not the right way to start an X server in the
container. Best regards,
Guillaume

<domain type='lxc' id='28247'>
  <name>lxcvm1</name>
  <uuid>d4014dfc-f4db-5791-c0d2-817547921ce1</uuid>
  <memory unit='KiB'>1048576</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>1048576</currentMemory>
  <vcpu placement='static'>1</vcpu>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64'>exe</type>
    <init>/sbin/init</init>
  </os>
  <clock offset='utc'/>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/lib/libvirt/libvirt_lxc</emulator>
    <filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
      <source dir='/home/thouveng/virtualization/lxc/lxcvm1/rootfs'/>
      <target dir='/'/>
    </filesystem>
    <interface type='network'>
      <mac address='00:16:3e:3e:06:4d'/>