[libvirt-users] virsh migrate --no route to host

Hari Pyla harip at vt.edu
Thu Mar 28 14:41:28 UTC 2013

Hi,
  I am trying to migrate a guest domain from one node to another.
I've tried several options of the virsh migrate command, but in vain.

It seems to be a networking issue. I wanted to make sure that my setup is
correct and that I am not missing anything.

I've issued the below command on the source node (n0):

[user at n0 ~]$ virsh  --connect qemu:///system migrate --verbose
Fedora-17-x86_64-1 qemu+ssh://n1/system
error: unable to connect to server at 'n1:49156': No route to host

I was wondering if you have any ideas on how to fix this issue.

My current setup/configuration:

1. virsh version : 0.10.2

2. The user has all the necessary access control setup. I've referenced
http://libvirt.org/auth.html

I am able to locally and remotely connect to both the nodes. I am also
able to start, stop and perform other actions on guest domains on local
and remote nodes, e.g.,

/* access destination node */
[user at n0 ~]$ virsh --connect qemu+ssh://n1/system list --all
  Id    Name                           State

/* access local node */
[user at n0 ~]$ virsh  --connect qemu:///system list --all
  Id    Name                           State
  2     Fedora-17-x86_64-1             running
  -     Fedora-18-x86_64-DVD           shut off

3. ssh keys are configured for password less access on both the nodes

4. I've opened ports 49152-49215 on the destination node i.e., n1.
please see below.

[user at n1 images]$ sudo iptables -L
[sudo] password for user:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:bootps
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:bootps
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:ssh
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpts:49152:49215
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
spts:49152:49215

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             192.168.122.0/24    state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.122.0/24     anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere reject-with
icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere reject-with
icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

5. I've restarted the libvirtd after updating the iptables.
I dont think that is necessary, but did it anyway.

I was wondering if I am missing something. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--Hari