[libvirt-users] migration job: unexpectedly failed

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue May 7 14:43:21 UTC 2013

On 05/07/2013 05:08 AM, Daniele wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to run some test and analysis while performing a wide live
> migration of a VM between two different network location. I use libvirt and
> qemu-kvm as hypervisor on Linux.
>
> The live wide migration from A to B completes successfully, instead I can't
> achieve the reverse path, from B to A (and that is right what I am
> interested to). To perform the migration I run this command in virsh: *"migrate
> --live --verbose uno qemu+ssh://root@ip.address/system"*

What version of libvirtd are you running on both the source and
destination?  There is a known nasty bug in a few versions prior to
1.0.5 where migration could trigger a race that would kill the source
libvirtd, so if you aren't testing with the latest version on both ends,
then upgrade first.  Also, what version of qemu are you running on the
two ends?

> *
> *
> Even if dramatically slow (i guess due to some network bottleneck) the
> migration starts correctly, but it gets stuck at 96% and after some minute
> it returns this error: *"Migration: [ 96 %]error: operation failed:
> migration job: unexpectedly failed" *without further details.
>
> The libvirtd.log file in the source host says:
> *2013-05-07 11:01:18.739+0000: 9538: error :
> qemuMigrationUpdateJobStatus:945 : operation failed: migration job:
> unexpectedly failed*

Does the /var/log/libvirt/qemu/uno.log file on either the source or
destination shed more light?

> *
> *
> Apparently i can't find any clue of what is causing the error, do you have
> any idea/solution?
> *
> *
> (I'm not sure if this is the appropriate mailing-list, maybe it was better
> the devs list?)

This list is fine.