[libvirt-users] Getting libvirt Error when setting IO tune read_bytes_sec value using libvirt API virDomainSetBlockIotune

vikrant verma vikrantverma99 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 12:02:50 UTC 2013

Hi All,

 I am setting the value for  "read_bytes_sec"  using the following API code

virDomainSetBlockIoTune(dom, "/mnt/tmpsdb/FileVM1", parainfoPtr, nparams,
2);

I am succesfully able to set this value and i can read it back using the API

virDomainGetBlockIoTune(dom,"/mnt/tmpsdb/FileVM1",parainfoPtr,&nparams,2);

But after setting this value when i shutdown my VM and start it again I am
getting following error -

ibvirtError: internal error Process exited while reading console log
output: qemu-system-x86_64: -drive
file=/mnt/tmpsdb/FileVM1,if=none,id=drive-ide0-1-1,format=raw,bps_rd=1048576:
Invalid parameter 'bps_rd'

Note - when i see dumpxml of the VM following lines are got added after
setting the iotunes for read_bytes_sec

 <iotune>
        <read_bytes_sec>1048576</read_bytes_sec>
      </iotune>

Please help me. Also i wanted to know whether we can set block IO tune for
a VM using the above API. Is it same as the IO throttling provided by
cgroup?