[libvirt-users] Pre-requisites to use Java bindings with QEMU

Lior Vernia liorvern at gmail.com
Sat May 11 12:25:58 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I've been reading through the articles on the website trying to understand
what's needed to use the libvirt Java bindings with a QEMU hypervisor, but
still have some uncertainties/questions:

1. It is my understanding that libvirtd has to be running on the machine
hosting the hypervisor. Correct?

2. For libvirtd to communicate with QEMU, QEMU has to be installed on the
machine hosting the hypervisor. Correct? I guess what I'm really asking is
whether the libvirt QEMU "driver" includes the QEMU source code, or rather
communicates with pre-installed executables.

3. Assuming the answer to the two former questions is "yes", is there a way
to bypass libvirtd if the machine hosting the hypervisor is the same as the
one running the Java code? I'm asking because running libvirtd would
require privileged permissions, whereas QEMU itself can run with normal
user permissions. Is that a price I have to pay for the uniform interface
that libvirt presents?

Yours, Lior.