[libvirt-users] libvirt support for armv8

David Pottage David.Pottage at Sophos.com
Tue May 14 12:49:12 UTC 2013

> Is libvirt supports armv8 arch?
Libvirt is a high level library for interacting with VMs. Debian offers libvirt packages for all 13 supported processor architectures, (Armv8 is not yet supported, but Arm6 (with soft float) or Arm 7 (with hard float) are supported. Arm 7.

However, that probably does not answer your question, as I think you really want to know about KVM.

Experimental Arm support for KVM was added to the kernel in version 3.9, that was released recently. That should work on Cortex A7 and A15 cores that have virtualization support, but as it is new and experimental, you should do your own testing before relying on it.

As far as I know there are not yet any shipping products fitted with Arm8 compatible processors (Cortex-A53 and A57). I am not even sure if any silicon has been fabbed yet, so I would say it is a bit early to ask about support for it, as so far any testing of Arm8 code will be in a cross-architecture VM.

--
David Pottage

Sophos Limited, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 991 2418 08.