[libvirt-users] connect to esx: Could not find HostSystem with name '(null)'

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Wed May 15 21:18:30 UTC 2013

2013/5/15 Dimitri Nilsen <dimitri.nilsen at kit.edu>:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to connect to esx vi libvirt 0.10.2.

According to line number for esxVI_LookupManagedObjectHelper in the
debug log this looks like libvirt 0.10.2.1 actually.

> virsh # connect esx://hostname?no_verify=1&auto_answer=1
> error: Failed to connect to the hypervisor
> error: internal error Could not find HostSystem with name '(null)'

First of all you found an error in the bug reporting here. The error
message should read just 'Could not find HostSystem'.

Anyway, the error says that libvirt couldn't find the HostSystem
object for that ESX server. This is quite unexpected.

What ESX server version are you using? Is this a standalone server? Or
is it managed by a vCenter server? Is it part of a cluster?

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com