[libvirt-users] libvirt for Citrix XenServer

Parakkal, Navin S navin.parakkal at hp.com
Tue May 28 15:51:30 UTC 2013

Hi Eric,
   Thanks for your response.
From: Eric Blake [eblake at redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:07 PM
To: Parakkal, Navin S
Cc: libvirt-users at redhat.com; Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [libvirt-users] libvirt for Citrix XenServer

On 05/27/2013 12:43 AM, Parakkal, Navin S wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   Can someone send me the build steps how to build for Citrix XenServer ? I want to build a version of libvirt for Citrix
XenServer.

>Fedora doesn't build for xenserver by default, because the development
>headers for xenserver are not under a free license.  However, you can
>download the xenserver development kit yourself at no monetary cost; as
>long as configure can detect xen_vm_start in -lxenserver, then you have
>installed it correctly, and your self-built libvirt will support
>xenserver URI.  At one point, I seem to recall that Dan Berrange even
>set up a repo so that you could download an rpm of older copies of the
>xenserver headers without having to click through the non-free licensing
>that Citrix now enforces on their newer releases; but I don't have the
>details of that repo location off-hand.

We are planning to ship a CentOS based virtual image that has a libvirt version of 0.9.4 this is used for collection remote and local KVM host/guest domain data but some pressing requirement is for Citrix Xenserver monitoring.  I now have 2 problems.

1) You say i need -lxenserver . Does that mean it can't do something xen+tcp or xen+ssh or xen+tls ? ie Does the libvirt need to be present on the host by itself . No remote collection is possible ?

If remote collection is not possible i would have to install the agent on all the hosts for monitoring.

Do we have something like xenapi+ssh or xenapi+tls or xenapi+tcp for remote monitoring ?

Regards,
Navin