[libvirt-users] Usual number of guests on a host

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue May 28 20:16:34 UTC 2013

On 05/28/2013 06:07 AM, Parakkal, Navin S wrote:
> Hi,
>   Can someone tell us what is the usual number of guests on a typical host in a production environment ? Has someone tested this ? What number does it scale to ? We have around 150 per host running fine.

It all depends on how beefy your hardware is, and how much you are
willing to oversubscribe on memory to run your guests.  It is quite easy
to run more than one single-vcpu guest per processor, although you may
need NUMA pinning to help that setup run efficiently; at least until you
run into kernel limits of what KVM can do (for example, while you were
able to run 150 guests, you might hit some sort of boundary at 256 or
512 guests according to how guests are represented in the kernel).
Personally, I don't have a machine that beefy to tell you any hard
numbers.  If you really want to discuss scalability, you may be better
off remembering that upstream is best effort only.  If you need hard
answers or guarantees for your particular setup, you may want to
consider using an enterprise solution; for example, Red Hat has specific
numbers of how many guests are supported on RHEL, along with benchmarks
to back up their claims.