[libvirt-users] Help needed regarding "virsh cpu-stats test_vm"

Anusha Rayani anusha.rayani at gmail.com
Wed May 29 07:23:08 UTC 2013

Hi,

We are implementing feature called CPU separation in the platform. So,
guest VMs will have dedicated cores allocated using cgroups (cgroups
hierachy related VMs managed by libvirt).

 virsh cpu-stats command is not working in our platform :

virsh # cpu-stats test_vm
error: Failed to virDomainGetCPUStats()

error: Requested operation is not valid: cgroup CPUACCT controller is not
mounted

It should show info like this.

$ virsh cpu-stats test_vm
CPU0:
cpu_time 0.025812184 seconds
vcpu_time 0.025812184 seconds
CPU1:
cpu_time 4.893484927 seconds
vcpu_time 4.893484927 seconds
Total:
cpu_time 4.924620941 seconds
user_time 1.060000000 seconds
system_time 3.050000000 seconds

We are suspecting some issue in virsh when it is trying to find to where
that cgroups is mounted in a system (default in ubuntu is
/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset/libvirt/, but in our platform  uses /dev/cgroup_xxx).

Find /proc/cgroups and /proc/mounts log below:
==================================

# cat /proc/cgroups
#subsys_name    hierarchy       num_cgroups     enabled
cpuset  0       1       1
ns      0       1       1
cpu     1       3       1
cpuacct 0       1       1
memory  2       1       1
freezer 0       1       1
net_cls 0       1       1
blkio   0       1       1

# cat /proc/mounts
cpu /dev/cgroup_cpu cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
memory /dev/cgroup_mem cgroup rw,relatime,memory 0 0

Can you please help us in this regard to enable this command in our
platform,
Thanks in advance !!!

Regards,
Anusha