[libvirt-users] Doc/web site problems

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Nov 12 00:17:01 UTC 2013

On 11/11/2013 05:04 PM, Greg Ward wrote:
> Hi all --
>
> I have one meta-question, and two real questions.
>
> 1) What's the best place to report bugs in the docs, FAQ, web site, or
> wiki? I have found two -- see next points. (I'm happy to make the fixes
> myself if I can, but I'm pretty ignorant about libvirt. Can't fix the
> docs without knowing the truth.)

Here is as good as any.  If the bug is in the wiki, feel free to fix it
yourself.  For all remaining docs, both the online version (including
FAQ) and docs included in a tarball are generated from the same sources,
under the libvirt.git/docs directory.

Easiest is submitting actual patches to those files to
libvir-list at redhat.com (see http://libvirt.org/hacking.html for getting
started on submitting a patch); but it is also permissible to just
propose wording changes and rely on the generosity of other list readers
to turn it into a formal patch (that approach doesn't scale as well, but
docs are important enough that it will generally get done faster than
comparable requests for features that have no accompanying patch).

In fact, doc patches initiated by non-developers are often the best,
because developers are often too close to the code to know what the
average user will want to know.  So please, keep up the suggestions!

> 2) In the FAQ, under "networking is unavailable in virt-manager / virsh
> - libvirt's default network fails to start", it says "Here is a list of
> the networking-related packages that need to be installed for libvirt
> networking to work properly:". But it does not say if those packages are
> supposed to be installed on the host or the guest! It might be obvious
> to you, but it isn't to me.

URL of the FAQ page with the missing information?  Offhand, I suspect
this is in reference to the host (particularly since the guest need not
run Linux in the first place); but seeing the actual list might help me
know for sure.

> 3) In http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Guest_configuration, it
> says "the following XML would be used in the guest:" ... but it doesn't
> say WHERE to put that configuration! Is it a snippet to add to an
> existing file? A new file I have to create? Something else? Very
> frustrating! ;-(

A snippet to add to the existing <domain> XML that you would see using
'virsh edit' (or with the virDomainDefineXML() API).  Yes, I can see how
additional wording, or even a pointer to
http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html, might make the page easier to follow.