[libvirt-users] Problem with bridged network configuration

Bob Doolittle bob at doolittle.us.com
Tue Nov 12 16:52:38 UTC 2013

For the record - I figured this out so am sharing the result for posterity:

The issue was that I didn't follow the instructions literally. Since,
once booted, my primary NIC name was "em1" I assumed I had to create an
initscript called ifcfg-em1 rather than ifcfg-eth0 as described in the doc.

Once I renamed that script to ifcfg-eth0 (and changed the DEVICE value
in the file to match), all is well. It does indeed appear to be a timing
issue due to the "Predictable Network Interface Names" feature and when
its NIC name musical chairs dance begins.

I have had more problems due to that one feature than anything else in
recent memory. It is a misnomer if ever there was one. Even the docs
related to it are incorrect (for Fedora 19, creating the symlink
described at
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
doesn't have the expected result of disabling the feature).

Thanks,
     Bob