[libvirt-users] User Namespace in LXC

Gao feng gaofeng at cn.fujitsu.com
Mon Nov 11 09:30:58 UTC 2013

On 11/11/2013 05:15 PM, Saurabh Deochake wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to restrict privileges of root user inside the container. I searched about it and got to know about "idmap" element in domain XML.
>
> I added "idmap" element in my container's XML file:
>
> <idmap>
>     <uid start='0' target='1000' count='10'/>
>     <gid start='0' target='1000' count='10'/>
>   </idmap>
>
> I restarted the container with updated XML file.
>
> When I execute "id" command to know if root user inside the container has been mapped with an user from host, i still get output uid as 0
>
> # id -u root
> 0

Yes, this user are the root user in this container, but actually he is mapped to a normal user(uid 1000) on host.
this user still has no right to access the files of host's root user or insmod....

you can try create a file in container, and on host, the owner of this file is uid=1000.
and on the other side, if a file's owner is uid 1000 on host. in this container, you will
see the owner of this file is uid 0.