[libvirt-users] Doc/web site problems

Greg Ward greg at gerg.ca
Wed Nov 13 21:55:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:52 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> > OK. What's <domain>? "virsh list" doesn't list anything, despite the
> > fact that I still have one VM visible in the virt-manager GUI.
>
> Ah.  First step then is to make sure you are connecting to the same
> libvirtd instance as virt-manager is (by default, virsh run as yourself
> tries to connect to qemu:///session, while virt-manager tries to connect
> to qemu:///system).

That seems to have been fixed: virsh 1.1.1 (on Ubuntu 13.10) connects to
qemu:///system by default. (So, it appears, does virt-manager.) I only
have one libvirtd instance, and it's running as root: I presume that is
the 'system' instance?

Turns out that "virsh list" does not list powered-off VMs. I either have
to boot it up or use "virsh list --all". That tells me what I already
know: that the *name* of my single VM is "sl6".

If I run "virsh edit sl6", then indeed I get an editor full of XML.
Progress! Does this mean that "domain" and "name" are the same thing?

Anyways, I've updated the wiki page: please check
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Guest_configuration to see if I
got it right.

Thanks for your help!

Greg