[libvirt-users] failing connections w/ virt-manager

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 9 10:31:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 11:12:47AM +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 08.10.2013 14:46, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
>
> >> Try enabling the flag, re-emerging the package, setting the logs and
> >> then reproduce it again.  Check the logs and you should see why it's
> >> disconnecting.
>
> The docs say that libvirtd has to listen on the TCP port ... checked that:
>
> # netstat -alnp | grep libv
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:16509           0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN      4568/libvirtd

Be sure to use some other authentication (e.g. sasl) when using tcp
(without TLS).  Even better, use tls with sasl, but that's irrelevant
to the issue now.

> libvirtd runs with UID root so I assume the user I use to connect with
> has to be root as well?

It's normal connection, it can't know under which user the client is
running.

> I see no group-specification in libvirtd.conf, only for UNIX sockets ...

There is no way how to set permissions per group/user of the client,
see previous point.

> tested with my user sgw (in groups qemu, kvm, libvirt) and root ... same
> behavior.
>
> From my client I see the open port with nmap:
>
> PORT      STATE SERVICE
> 16509/tcp open  unknown
>
> so there should be no firewall topic ...
>
> Increased logs on the libvirtd-server, so far it only says:
>
>  End of file while reading data: Input/output error
>
> I have to play with the log settings now.

So let me revise that:
 - you can reproduce it only with virt-manager not anything else
 - the disconnection happens when you do what exactly?
 - you tried setting the log level for both server and client

right?

I suggest the following:
set log_levev = 1 and log_outputs="1:file:/tmp/libvirtd.log" in your
libvirtd.conf, restart libvirtd, start virt-manager like this:
LIBVIRT_DEBUG=1 virt-manager --debug &>vm.log
and reproduce the problem.  If this happens to you a lot (as it doesn
IIUC), feel free to use all the data to create a bug on upstream
virt-manager and we can continue from that.

Have a nice day,
Martin