[libvirt-users] Create RBD Format 2 disk images with qemu-image

Jon three18ti at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 12:28:15 UTC 2013

Hello,

I would like to use RBD Format 2 images so I can take advantage of layering.

However, when I use "qemu-img create -f rbd rbd:data/foo 10G", I get format
1 RBD images. (Actually, when I use the "-f rbd" flag, qemu-img core dumps,
but it looks like that feature may have been deprecated [1])

Is there any way to have qemu-img create RBD Format 2 images or am I better
off using `rbd` to create the image then booting from the disk and
performing the install, etc.?

Thanks for the assist.

Best Regards,
Jon A