[libvirt-users] libvirt-qemu/kvm passthru w/Intel 82598EB

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Tue Sep 3 18:45:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM, laurence.schuler <laurence.schuler at nasa.gov
> wrote:

> Hi,
>  I am trying to configure two identical systems with the following setup.
>
> dom0: Centos 6 OS on Apple Xserve i7 server with PCI cards for 4GB FC
> (LSI FC949ES) and 10GB Ethernet (Intel 82598EB)
>
> dom1: Centos 5 OS  with passthru mode of PCI 4GB FC and 10GB Ethernet
> (ixgbe and mptfc blacklisted in dom0)
>
> Everything starts ok, but networking in dom1 using the 10GB interface
> has extremely high rtt w/ping tests (20-30ms avg).
>
> I've tried a few tweaks I've discovered via googling, but nothing seems
> to help. (run libvirt as root, set privilege mode, etc)
>
> For validation, I have the same card in Dell hosts running Centos 6
> natively and they get an avg rtt of .06ms or better. Furthemore the Dell
> will contact the dom1 but the connection has rtt avg times of about 6ms.
>
> With the ethernet interface on the motherboard of the Apple Xserve, I
> will see rtt times of .06ms within the dom1's, so I think this points to
> a problem with the Intel card passthru usage, perhaps interrupts handling?.
>
> Does anyone know if I need to set any special options for the ixgbe
> driver under libvirt?
>
> TIA,

Larry,

While I don't know of any specifics for your card that libvirt could help
with, it doesn't mean there aren't any. You might have a better time asking
on the qemu-users ML at
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/qemu-discuss but you are dealing
with a very specific card so your range of people with knowledge of that
card might be small.

--
Doug

> --
> Laurence Schuler (Larry)                       Laurence.Schuler at nasa.gov
> Systems Support                                       ADNET Systems, Inc
> Scientific Visualization Studio                 http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov
> NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center, Code 606.4       phone: 1-301-286-1799
> Greenbelt, MD 20771                                  fax: 1-301-286-1634
> Note: I am not a government employee and have no authority to obligate
> any federal, state or local government to perform any action or
> payment.FC949ES

Doug Goldstein