[libvirt-users] Error Attaching Seventh VirtIO-SCSI Device to Guest

McEvoy, James james.mcevoy at hp.com
Wed Sep 4 01:34:50 UTC 2013

I have run into a problem attempting to attach the seventh virtio-scsi device to a RHEL 6.4 Guest from a RHEL 6.4 host running libvirt version 0.10.2-18.
I have a guest that is running RHEL6.4 where I can attach disks sda(boot), sdb, sdc, sdd, sde and sdf but when I try to attach sdg the virsh attach-disk command fails with the error:
error: Failed to attach disk
error: internal error Unable to determine model for scsi controller

I logged Bug 996327  on this issue including an attached script to repro the bug but there has been no activity on that bug so far.

This is the results when attaching virtio-scsi disks in a loop. Sdf is attached but sdg fails.

virsh attach-disk --domain UEM004n1 --source /dev/GuestVols/UEM004-5 --target sdf --cache none --type disk --config --wwn 1fc7058865439717 --serial c7d11fc7058865439717 --shareable
Disk attached successfully

Vol UEM004-6 created
virsh attach-disk --domain UEM004n1 --source /dev/GuestVols/UEM004-6 --target sdg --cache none --type disk --config --wwn 4d3ddb9d15b05e7e --serial 62fd4d3ddb9d15b05e7e --shareable

error: Failed to attach disk
error: internal error Unable to determine model for scsi controller

The script to create and attach LVM volumes using virtio-scsi is available here:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=785925

Has anyone else run into this... I had the understanding that each virtio-controller could support 4K devices.

  --jim