[libvirt-users] libvirt-1.2.2-r1 (Gentoo) fails to start LXC containers

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Tue Sep 10 18:34:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Dennis Jenkins
<dennis.jenkins.75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently upgraded "libvirt" on Gentoo to 1.2.2-r1 (latest available).  I
> have not used LXC containers for a few weeks, so I don't recall what version
> of libvirt I was using when my container last booted successfully.
>
> Unfortunately, Gentoo's portage tree does not offer any previous versions of
> libvirt that I could downgrade to.

Yeah our security people got a bit over zealous. That's being rectified.

> TL;DR: My container is configured to use "br0" for its networking.  "br0"
> exists totally inside my linux server - it is NOT bound to any physical NIC.
> "br0" is used for most of my QEMU and LXC VMs.  libvirt is reporting that it
> cannot find device "veth1".  All of my Gentoo packages are up-to-date.
>
> Digging through my logs (/var/log/libvirt/libvirt.log), I see that I last
> successfully booted this LXC container on 2013-07-22, with libvirt reporting
> version "1.1.0".
>
> Thoughts?

You really need to look at /var/log/libvirt/lxc/dwj-hfax-dev.log

A suggestion would be to make sure that you have all the necessary
kernel options enabled. You can check with: ebuild
/usr/portage/app-emulation/libvirt/libvirt-1.1.2-r1.ebuild setup clean

--
Doug Goldstein