[libvirt-users] Incremental Backups

Thomas Stein himbeere at meine-oma.de
Fri Sep 20 13:31:14 UTC 2013

Hello.

Is someone performing incremental backups via libvirt for qemu/kvm
machines? I'm still having a hard time to
find a nice procedure. I mean is it possible to make a full backup of an
image on monday a do the next days of the week
incremental backups?

Another way could be mount the image and rsync its contents. Does that
makes sense?

Also i read in qemu changelog:

---
Support for a new block device background job. Started by drive-backup,
it will backup a disk's content to a new file. Unlike drive-mirror, the
new file will include the source disk's content at the time the backup
job was started. Atomic backup of multiple disks is supported using the
"transaction" QMP command.
---

Is this supported by libvirt?

thanks and best regards