[libvirt-users] Incremental Backups

Daniel Berteaud daniel at firewall-services.com
Mon Sep 23 14:00:44 UTC 2013

Le vendredi 20 septembre 2013 à 15:31 +0200, Thomas Stein a écrit :
> Hello.
>
> Is someone performing incremental backups via libvirt for qemu/kvm
> machines? I'm still having a hard time to
> find a nice procedure. I mean is it possible to make a full backup of an
> image on monday a do the next days of the week
> incremental backups?

You can take a look at this script:
http://gitweb.firewall-services.com/?p=virt-backup;a=blob_plain;f=virt-backup;hb=HEAD

I'm using it on several servers. You can either take a full backup (raw
dd of your LV), or incremential backups. Incrementials are done this
way:

- pause the VM
- take an LVM snapshot of each of its disk
- resume the VM
- use chunkfs to mount the LVM snapshots as if it was a lot of small
files
- now you can rsync the fuse mount point using rsync, and only modified
blocks will be transfered. If you use something like BackupPC or
rsnapshot, it'll also only store on disk the modified blocks

Regards, Daniel