[libvirt-users] Collecting system stats

Sam Giraffe sam at giraffetech.biz
Wed Sep 25 14:10:07 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am trying to create a report across all my KVM hypervisors using libvirt
API and I need some assistance in figuring out the right API calls. My
report will contain the total available memory, CPU, disk across all
hypervisors, versus the amount used by the virtual machines. This report
will help figure out if we are running low on hypervisor disk, CPU or
memory and if we need to add more.

I can't find the libvirt API call to get system info, such as total memory
in the system, free memory, total disk space, available disk space, etc.
There is virDomainInfo which shows memory total and free about a particular
VM, I guess I can use active/inactive domain list and then use
virDomainInfo on each of the VM's, but that does not give me hypervisor
stats. I am wondering if I will have to enable SNMP and use that to get
hypervisors stats.

I am creating this report remotely on a reporting machine which will
connect to each hypervisor using the libvirt API using one of the remote
libvirt connections available.

Thanks