[libvirt-users] LXC + USB passthrough = Operation not permitted

Filip Maj fil at saucelabs.com
Mon Apr 14 17:44:41 UTC 2014

So, if I remove the hostdev element related to the USB device, running
`lsusb` and `usb-devices` inside the container lists the proper device, but
I do not see the appropriate character device bus for the Android device
under /dev/bus/usb. We are not entirely sure that `lsusb` and `usb-devices`
queries the appropriate location - it somehow gets information from the
host, not the guest container, as far as we can tell.

If we specify the appropriate usb bus character device path (like you
suggest, Cheng), then it does appear inside the container, but the
permissions and ownership on the device seem to be incorrect. Here are the
details of the appropriate device busses in the host (002 and 003 are the
specific Android devices):

$ ll /dev/bus/usb/002
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root         100 Apr  9 18:14 ./
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root         200 Apr  9 18:14 ../
crw-rw-r--  1 root root    189, 128 Apr  9 18:14 001
crw-rw-r--  1 root plugdev 189, 129 Apr  9 18:14 002
crw-rw-r--  1 root plugdev 189, 130 Apr 10 15:25 003

Then, I removed the old mode="subsystem" hostdev element and added the
following hostdev elements:

        <hostdev mode='capabilities' type='misc'>
          <source>
            <char>/dev/bus/usb/002/002</char>
          </source>
        </hostdev>
        <hostdev mode='capabilities' type='misc'>
          <source>
            <char>/dev/bus/usb/002/003</char>
          </source>
        </hostdev>

Then I get inside the guest container and list out the usb busses we just
mounted:

$ ll /dev/bus/usb/002/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root       80 Apr 14 17:43 ./
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root       60 Apr 14 17:43 ../
crwx------ 1 root root 189, 129 Apr 14 17:43 002
crwx------ 1 root root 189, 130 Apr 14 17:43 003

You can see the group that owns the character devices is different, and the
read/write permissions are different, too. Not sure if this is the root of
the issue, but, I noticed that difference. In any case, the Android devices
are still not recognized by the container.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,
Fil