[libvirt-users] "virsh list" doesn't show correct state in case of no reply from Guest OS

Koji Inami k-inami at bc.jp.nec.com
Mon Aug 4 08:24:53 UTC 2014

Hello,
we were facing a bit of problem that "virsh list" command didn't show correct state, and I report it.

I'm talking about a following message, for example.
[root at server ~]# virsh list
 Id    Name                           State
 1     rhel65                         running

The command showed "running" in spite of no reply from a Guest OS,
while qemu process was dumping a corefile.
So I guess the process was dying at that time.
I'm sure the command shouldn't show "running" state because the process was not running.
I believe that "crushed" or "shut off" are better than "running" in virDomainState.
Please see: http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html

I'd like to hear your thinking.

Best Regards,
Koji