[libvirt-users] virt-install: failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:33:01 UTC 2014

As a regular user, member of the libvirt group, I run this command to
create a basic VM:

virt-install --connect qemu:///system --name=test --ram 2048 --cpu
host-model-only --os-variant=win7 --disk /myVM/test --boot cdrom,hd
--virt-type kvm --graphics spice --controller scsi,model=virtio-scsi
--cdrom=/drawer/myIso/w8.iso

It returns an error :
---------------------------------
Starting install...
ERROR    internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor:
Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied
failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied
---------------------------------

$ getfacl /dev/kvm

# file: dev/kvm
# owner: root
# group: kvm
user::rw-
user:martinus:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::---

The command return seems to indicate rights are correct.
$ lsmod return kvm & kvm_intel are loaded.

If I run the virt-install with qemu:///session, I do not have this
issue and can create the VM.

I found many entries about the KVM permission issue, but with no clear
answer to solve it.

Thank you for any suggestion
--

google.com/+arnaudgabourygabx