[libvirt-users] Reboot, halt, poweroff called inside an lxc domain

Michal Witanowski m.witanowski at samsung.com
Thu Aug 21 12:11:18 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Is there any possibility (using libvirt C API or whatever else) to
"propagate" shutdown events (reboot, halt, power off) to a host? The API
seems to lack this functionality - there exists function
virConnectDomainEventRegisterAny, but the virDomainEventStoppedDetailType
enum does not distinguish between these 3 different situations.

Moreover, while rebooting a machine, an additional argument can be passed to
reboot() syscall, which will be used by bootloader during the startup.
Ideally, when calling e.g. "reboot recovery" inside an lxc container I'd
like to be informed (inside host) that "reboot" was called with "recovery"
as additional argument, so I can take appropriate actions.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Michal