[libvirt-users] username and passwd after create VM from XML dump

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 22:33:14 UTC 2014

On 08/05/2014 03:02 PM, Yuanzhen Gu wrote:
> Good afternoon guys,
>
> I created the VM from XML dump,
> # virsh create vm4.xml
>
> and # virsh list   I can see the VM running,
> and I know the ip address for the VM,
>
> but how can I know the username and password to login the running VM, which
> is created from XML dump?  is there any place to edit and add the username
> and password in guest domain XML ?   thanks a lot!!

Libvirt is only concerned with what virtual hardware you present to the
guest, not with the OS running in that guest or what username/password
combinations will let you log into that guest OS.  libguestfs may be
able to do some introspection for learning usernames, and also has the
ability to create guest clones where you control the usernames and
passwords to be used in the new guest.  But it is up to you to manage
your VMs to where you know what username/password pairs are stored for a
given guest image.