[libvirt-users] username and passwd after create VM from XML dump

Yuanzhen Gu yg185 at cs.rutgers.edu
Wed Aug 6 18:10:42 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/06/2014 11:11 AM, Yuanzhen Gu wrote:
>
> >> Libvirt is only concerned with what virtual hardware you present to the
> >>
> >> guest, not with the OS running in that guest or what username/password
> >>
> >> combinations will let you log into that guest OS.  libguestfs may be
> >>
> >> able to do some introspection for learning usernames, and also has the
> >>
> >> ability to create guest clones where you control the usernames and
> >>
> >> passwords to be used in the new guest.
> >>

> >        Thanks!  so do you mean that I can use libvirt clone a new guest
> > with which I can give username and password?
>
> Libvirt can just copy guest storage and hardware configuration.  If you
> use only libvirt to do a guest clone, then the clone will have the same
> OS credentials as the original.  That's probably not what you want.
>
> You seem to be asking about libguestfs - but that's a higher-level
> application than libvirt, so you may want to migrate your questions to
> the libguestfs list.  http://libguestfs.org/virt-sysprep.1.html gives an
> overview of the sort of things you can do when prepping a cloned system
> via libguestfs, such as setting up a known account with a known password.
>

> >       but I've no idea where the username and passwd be stored, create it
> > with dumpXML of a VM, I've tried that original VM's username and passwd
> via
> > ssh, but it didn't work.
>
> Again, libvirt could care less what passwords your guest OS uses, as
> passwords are not hardware, so dumpxml is unable to show you that
> information(well, you COULD use libvirt's virDomainSetMetadata to store
> custom XML that records that information, and then dumpxml would repeat
> back the custom XML you associated with the guest - but again, that's
> something you do as management, and not something libvirt tracks
> natively).  Libguestfs knows how to introspect guest file systems, and
> may help you create a new password, but if you were careless enough to
> lose track of what password an existing guest was using, I seriously
> doubt there is anything that we can do to help you recover that
> password, at least if it was stored securely by the guest OS.

    I see, thank you so much Eric!
    Just one more question to make me clear in this point, so if I install
an application in the guest, and make a dmup XML, then     create a new
guest using that configured dump XML file, the new guest should also have
that application installed?  and the username and password of the new guest
should be the same as the previous guest?   thanks a lot!