[libvirt-users] Guest vlan trunk port networking issues

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Wed Aug 20 00:44:18 UTC 2014

Hi,
I'm having trouble getting networking to work and I'm not sure what I'm
doing wrong.

The network interface of the host is connected to a switch-port that is
configured as trunk and allows tagged traffic for vlan id 10.
The host itself has the interfaces eth1.10 and eth1 defined. eth1.10 is
configured with the primary ip address of the host system and eth1 is
slave of the bridge br1.

I installed a guest with a virtual network interface that is added to
br1 the idea being that I can define an interface eth0.10 in the guest
and have the tagged traffic forwarded this way:
(guest) eth0.10 (packet gets tagged with id 10) -> (host) vnet0 ->
(host) br1 -> (host) eth1 -> network

The issue is that when I do a ping in the guest I see the arp request on
eth1 with tcpdump but no response as if the packet doesn't reach its target.

Normaly at this poing I would suspect the switchport configuration but
when I ping the same IP from the host (which has an IP in the same
network on interface eth1.10) this ping works fine.

Does anybody have experience with this and maybe an idea why the host
can reach the ip in vlan 10 but the guest can not? Could this be a
routing issue that the system somehow discards the packets flowing
through eth1 directly because there also is an interface eth1.10 present?

Regards,
  Dennis