[libvirt-users] Problem with /dev/tty in LXC established with virt-install

Vegard Vesterheim vegard.vesterheim at uninett.no
Mon Dec 1 11:07:37 UTC 2014

I have created a LXC container with debootstrap followed by virt-install
like this:

host=mylxc1
debootstrap wheezy /home/lxc/$host
virt-install -c lxc:// -n $host --filesystem /home/lxc/$host,/ --ram 1024

I am confused about the /dev filesystem in this container. Specifically
the device '/dev/tty'.

>From inside the container:

~# ls -la /dev/tty
ls: cannot access /dev/tty: No such file or directory

# mknod -m 666 /dev/tty c 4 0
mknod: `/dev/tty': Operation not permitted

A LXC container created and started with the native LXC commands
(lxc-create/lxc-start) has a functioning /dev/tty:

# cat </dev/tty
foo
foo
^C

How can I create a functioning /dev/tty with the LXC driver in libvirt?

 - Vegard V -