[libvirt-users] virsh list shows no vm after downgrade

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 20:15:30 UTC 2014

On 12/18/2014 07:45 AM, Chengyuan Li wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was running libvirt 1.2.2 and qemu 2.0 which are from icehouse cloud
> archive repo on ubuntu 12.04, "virsh list --all" showed correct instances
> after launching several VMs,
> Then I just downgraded libvirt to 0.9.13 and qemu to 1.0, but kept the VMs
> running. However, when I run "virsh list --all" after downgrade, I can't
> see any VMs. Seems that the old version libvirt 0.9.13 doesn't know the
> instances created by libvirt 1.2.2.

Correct.  This scenario is not supported.  We only promise backwards
compatibility (new versions will not lose data from old versions), not
forward compatibility (old versions might be confused by data added in
new versions).

> Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Upgrade back to libvirt 1.2.2 or newer.  The new libvirt will then show
your running guests.