[libvirt-users] Help? Running into problems with migrateToURI2() and virDomainDefCheckABIStability()

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Feb 10 23:46:55 UTC 2014

Hi,

We've run into a problem with libvirt 1.1.2 and are looking for some
comments on whether this is a bug or design intent.

We're trying to use migrateToURI() but we're using a few things
(numatune, vcpu mask, etc.) that may need adjustment during the
migration.  We found that migrateToURI2() mostly works if we use XML
created by copying the domain XML from the running instance and
modifying the appropriate sections.

The problem that we're seeing is that the serial console checking in
libvirt/src/conf/domain_conf.c::virDomainDefCheckABIStability() is
failing even though we haven't touched the serial console XML:

2014-02-10 19:41:07.196 1264 ERROR nova.virt.libvirt.driver [-]
[instance: 42a841a8-034f-4565-937e-adb396a2ec48] Live Migration failure:
unsupported configuration: Target domain console count 1 does not match
source 0

On occasion it passes if the devices/serial/source element happens to be
the same after migration, but this seems to be a fluke.

If we remove the devices/serial/source element in the XML it seems to
make the serial console check work on the first migration, but upon
doing subsequent migration it fails with a console count error:

2014-02-07 16:11:32.459 28759 ERROR nova.virt.libvirt.driver [-]
[instance: 1d7c470d-4337-450a-8a40-d0fb375ca2c1] Live Migration failure:
unsupported configuration: Target domain console count 0 does not match
source 1

Are we doing something wrong?  Is there an issue with the console check
code?  Is there a better way to do what we're trying to do?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Chris