[libvirt-users] Problems with qemu-system-arm and isa-serial

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Tue Feb 18 08:33:01 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 09:10:58AM +0100, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 05:01:05PM +0100, Niccolo Rigacci wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to use libvirt for an armel virtual machine hosted
> > into an x86_64 box.
> >
> > I know the command line to start qemu-system-arm directly, but I
> > cannot figure a proper .xml configuration file to let libvirt do
> > this job.
> >

> We're still missing a full support for qemu-system-arm because it has
> different options, works differently and so on.
>
> > The main problem is that I want a serial console attached via
> > telnet, this is the Qemu incantation:
> >
> > -serial telnet::4000,server,nowait,nodelay
> >

> this is an old-style for -chardev serial, I believe
>
> > Wahtever I do in libvirt, I get this paramter added:
> >
> > -device isa-serial
> >

> and this is new-style for x86 qemu, however, arm-based qemu haven't
> adopted this option yet.

To be a bit more precise, only *some* machine types support this
option, others may have adopted it, but don't use it properly and what
you describe is most probably properly adopted option, but qemu not
adding an ISA controller (apart from non-arm qemu which has it
always).  Can you send me the output of 'virsh capabilities' and
'virsh dumpxml <domain_name>' so I can have a look at what's the
particular type of machine you are using for which we should not use
'-device isa-serial'?

Thanks,
Martin