[libvirt-users] Networkfilters in Routed setup

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Feb 19 16:26:17 UTC 2014

On 02/19/2014 08:47 AM, h0rst wrote:

> [...]

You'll need to figure out where the permission denied is coming from;
perhaps the problem is that your symlink requires resolution to a
directory that is not readable bu the

These remaining error messages look awkward; we probably have issues in
the code that overwrites the useful message when it shouldn't.  But
that's just cosmetic, compared to getting the real root cause of why
libvirtd can't execute dnsmasq.

> However, running dnsmasq manually worked. Since that was the moment the first
> phonecalls started because users could not access their services on the VMs
> i quickly reverted everything to its previous state to get everything up and
> running again. I dont have any testing server, so i could not play around with
> it anymore (better to say not right now. I might have to wait until everyone is
> sleeping ;)). Does libvirt has any problems when accessing a softlink instead
> of a binary? Poorly that possibility came into my mind after reverting back to
> its original state!

Libvirt shouldn't have any problems following a symlink, unless the
symlink resolves to a path that doesn't have proper permissions.  Can
you paste actual terminal transcripts proving that you can manually
execute /usr/sbin/dnsmasq --version?