[libvirt-users] VM Creation Timestamp

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 19:02:38 UTC 2014

On 02/26/2014 08:21 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 02/26/2014 04:42 AM, Tony Atkinson wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Is there any way to query libvirt, ideally through virsh CLI utility or
>> similar, to get a timestamp of when a VM was created.
>> Or to put it another way, a timestamp of when a domain's UUID was allocated.
>
> Sorry, there is no such information currently tracked in <domain> xml.
> You could use the metadata element to track this information yourself:
> http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsMetadata
>
> but if we decide to add it in libvirt proper, it would not appear any
> sooner than someone writes a patch (and certainly won't be in the
> upcoming 1.2.2 release, since we're past feature freeze)

When you say "creation timestamp", do you mean the time at which the
qemu process was spawned (as in 'virsh create' for transient guests or
'virsh start' for persistent guests - basically an uptime measurement)
or the time at which XML was first recorded for the guest (as in 'virsh
create' or 'virsh define' - more of an initial install timestamp, with
no bearing on actual runtime of the guest)?  I'm assuming that you'd
want live migration to preserve the timestamp, but what happens with
reverting to snapshots or saving/restoring from files (which are also
situations that create a new qemu process, but where the guest has
previous uptime already accumulated)?