[libvirt-users] Can I move the disk image of the guest while it is running?

Gergely Horváth gergely.horvath at inepex.com
Wed Feb 5 21:54:15 UTC 2014

Thank you Eric,

On 2014-02-05 17:23, Eric Blake wrote:
> Yes, live storage migration is possible; although at the moment, qemu is
> lacking a way to restart the operation if it fails midstream, so libvirt
> only allows the operation if you are willing to temporarily make your
> guest transient.

What does this mean? Will I loose anything if - for example - there is
not enough space on the target device? Or it will still use the original
disk image?

AFAIK, a transient guest only means it will disappear after the
virtualisation session ends.

> virsh dumpxml $dom > file
> virsh undefine $dom
> virsh blockcopy $dom /ssd/image.raw /hdd/image.raw \
>   --wait --verbose --pivot
> virsh define file

I could not find anything about "pivot" or "pivoting"? What does --pivot
do in this case?

Thank you.

--
Üdvözlettel / Best regards

Horváth Gergely | gergely.horvath at inepex.com

IneTrack - Nyomkövetés egyszerűen | Inepex Kft.
Ügyfélszolgálat: support at inetrack.hu | +36 30 825 7646 | support.inetrack.hu
Web: www.inetrack.hu | nyomkovetes-blog.hu | facebook.com/inetrack

Inepex - The White Label GPS fleet-tracking platform | www.inepex.com