[libvirt-users] How to use /dev/mapper in virt-manager/libvirt

Jay Vyas jayunit100 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 17:23:24 UTC 2014

That's a great idea.    I test distributed filesystems (gluster) and hadoop in VMs a lot, and Id really like to know what libvirt is doing with kvm when I install a new OS....So i also want to know the answer, for some context : here's My recent experiences along these lines was similar (different scenario: I wanted to directly formatted lvm volumes InsIde my guests).  But if I could just mount raw disks on my host as you suggest , that would be nice.

Anyways. Here is what I'm doing now it might work for you if you are okay with creating devices in your host and using qemu to attach them as virtual disks:

- I wanted to use existing lvm volumes as gluster bricks so I looked at the existing /dev/mapper volumes to see if I could erase and mkfs on one of them.

- they synlinked to /dev/dm-... Seemed kinda funny.

So.. I tried to unmount their targets:

umount /home

And then mkfs, but in VMs spun up with virt-install this seemed to cause a problem.  The VMs didn't boot normally after i did this.

So I fell back to just create virtual disks as described here  http://jayunit100.blogspot.com/2014/01/adding-new-virtual-disks-to-running.html?m=1 and attaching them.

Anyways I hope that helps spur the conversation or maybe me qemu-attach disk trick above is a hack that you can use as a workaround .