[libvirt-users] Right way to do SAN-based shared storage?

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef at telenet.be
Wed Feb 12 21:29:46 UTC 2014

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:51:53 +0100
urgrue <urgrue at bulbous.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to set up SAN-based shared storage in KVM, key word being
> "shared" across multiple KVM servers for a) live migration and b)
> clustering purposes. But it's surprisingly sparsely documented. For
> starters, what type of pool should I be using?

It's indeed not documented at all.
After many trial and errors, this is the result of my experience:

- set up a basic cluster using cman and pacemaker (when using redhat or
  centos). If unsure about the multicast performance of your switches,
  use unicast (I needed this in some cases).
- don't use a shared FS for your virtual machines. GFS2 works ok, but
  the IO performance of your virtual machines drops a lot.
- because of the cluster, you can use clvmd. Even if not using
  clustered logical volumes, you can still decide to stop the volume on
  one server and start it on another via the pacemaker/heartbeat agents.
- use pacemaker to manage virtual machines (and, if not using clvmd, to
  stop/start your lvm's using tags). For the xml files describing your
  vm's you'll unfortunately either need a small GFS2 partition or use
  rsync between the 2 servers. But use the VirtualDomain resource agent
  from git, it contains a lot of fixes (even some from me :-) ). Also
  compile libvirtd from source (1.2.1 is very stable with a small
  extra patch to talk to older qemu versions), reason for this is that
  you can then have more than 20 (or is it 25) virtual machines running
  on one kvm without issues (and also lots of memory leak fixes, and it
  provides a addon: virtlockd). Also, since you don't touch qemu from
  the release you're using, it's not that big a deal.
- as an extra layer of protection, you can use virtlockd (to be sure
  your vm doesn't run on 2 nodes at the same time). The disadvantage of
  this is you need a small gfs2 shared partition, but that's ok if you
  don't want to use rsync for your xml files anyway.

I'm open for any questions and/or bashing :-)

Franky