[libvirt-users] Problems with qemu-system-arm and isa-serial

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Tue Feb 18 08:55:40 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 09:33:01AM +0100, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 09:10:58AM +0100, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 05:01:05PM +0100, Niccolo Rigacci wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to use libvirt for an armel virtual machine hosted
> > > into an x86_64 box.
> > >
> > > I know the command line to start qemu-system-arm directly, but I
> > > cannot figure a proper .xml configuration file to let libvirt do
> > > this job.
> > >

> > We're still missing a full support for qemu-system-arm because it has
> > different options, works differently and so on.
> >
> > > The main problem is that I want a serial console attached via
> > > telnet, this is the Qemu incantation:
> > >
> > > -serial telnet::4000,server,nowait,nodelay
> > >

> > this is an old-style for -chardev serial, I believe
> >
> > > Wahtever I do in libvirt, I get this paramter added:
> > >
> > > -device isa-serial
> > >

> > and this is new-style for x86 qemu, however, arm-based qemu haven't
> > adopted this option yet.
> >

> To be a bit more precise, only *some* machine types support this
> option, others may have adopted it, but don't use it properly and what
> you describe is most probably properly adopted option, but qemu not
> adding an ISA controller (apart from non-arm qemu which has it
> always).  Can you send me the output of 'virsh capabilities' and
> 'virsh dumpxml <domain_name>' so I can have a look at what's the
> particular type of machine you are using for which we should not use
> '-device isa-serial'?

Sorry for spamming so much about this, I should've thought about that
more before the first reply.  I looked at the code and this should be
fixed since commit v1.1.2-9-g3a2beae [1].  Fromt hat I guess you are
using version 1.1.2 or older.  Please update your libvirt and le us
know if that problem persists.

Have a nice day,
Martin

[1] http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commitdiff;h=3a2bea